Change of Status

Applying for F-1 Status

If you are already in the U.S. and maintaining a valid nonimmigrant status, you may be able to apply for a change of status to F-1. Most types of visas are eligible for a change

of status. Those who are eligible for a change of status must submit a change of status application and be approved prior to beginning their studies. See the below steps for a

change of status.

1. Call us or simply come to the center and consult with an advisor and fill out an application form.

2. Provide copies of statements of your financial support.

   1. Submit an original statement from your bank account.

   2. If you have an American resident or citizen as your sponsor, have them fill out the affidavit of support (I-134 form) and submit his or her bank statement

   3. If you have a sponsor who resides in your country, have your sponsor write a sponsorship letter (in English) and submit his or her bank statement. In the sponsorship letter,
    your sponsor should 
clearly state that he or she will cover all of your tuition, living, and medical expenses.

3. Write a letter (in English) explaining why you decided to study in the United States.

4. Submit your current address in the US and your permanent address in your home country.

5. Fill out and sign an I-539 Form (Application for Change of Non-Immigrant Status). Students will be responsible for paying the SEVIS Fee and can request assistance from the institute.

6. Submit a personal check or a money order in the sum of $370 addressed to the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services). All your submitted

documents and I-20 student Form will be sent to USCIS. Your approval depends entirely on the specifics of your case, your current status, and the USCIS officer’s decision.